About the Department
I welcome you to explore the Department of Chemistry at Noorul Islam College of Arts & Science. Department of Chemistry was established in 2017 under the guidance of Prof. T.Shining Vinil Priya (Head of the Dept). Outside the classroom, undergraduates and graduate students a like participate in ground-breaking research in chemical synthesis and catalysis, biochemistry and chemical biology, energy and sustainability, theoretical and computational chemistry, and materials chemistry and nanoscience. We promote the vigorous exchange of ideas in the lab and in the classroom, the free pursuit of scientific knowledge, and creativity in posing and solving problems, all within an environment that is respectful and collegial to all members of the department: students, staff, and faculty. The Department is committed to addressing some of society's most pressing challenges and disseminating knowledge to the broader scientific community and the public. The department is intentional in its efforts to recruit diverse faculty and students and continually works to maintain and promote an inclusive environment.
Improving people’s lives through the transforming power of chemistry
- To graduate chemists and biochemists who are:
- Prepared for entrance into top-rated graduate and professional schools
- Prepared for entry-level positions in chemical industry and other chemistry-related fields capable of becoming responsible, successful professionals and leaders in their chosen fields.
1. To contribute to the preparation of students in other science disciplines for their careers.
2. To contribute to the improvement of scientific and technological literacy, and the development of critical-thinking and problem-solving skills of all students as preparation for the world of work and responsible citizenship.
3. To attract well-qualified students, graduate 10-12 students per year, half as chemistry majors, with 60% of those graduates entering graduate or professional schools, including some of the top schools/programs in the country.
To develop the department in aspect of education , research and development of basic technology in chemical science. Development of best resource for student and researchers. Utilization of excellent facilities for students.
1. Provide chemistry majors with a strong background in the five major sub-disciplines of chemistry – organic, inorganic, physical, and analytical chemistry and nano chemistry – with up-to-date coursework in each area.
2. Provide students with relevant laboratory and research experiences designed to deepen their understanding of chemical principles, while simultaneously teaching students safe, responsible laboratory practices.
3. Demonstrate the use of modern technology in chemistry by giving students direct, hands-on experiences with up-to-date instrumentation, computer software, and methods of information retrieval, both in coursework and in the laboratory setting.
4. Provide students with opportunities, through regular coursework and research experiences, to practice active learning and develop their critical thinking, communication, and technical skills.
5. Provide opportunities for students to become familiar with the chemical professions and professional activities of practicing chemists .
6. Provide students with a more holistic view of chemistry through emphasis on its interdisciplinary nature by using specific examples to illustrate connections between chemistry and other science areas and the liberal arts.
· Design and conduct experiments
· Analyze experimental data
· Assess chemical safety issues
· Perform both quantitative and qualitative analysis
· Synthesize chemical products
· Purify chemicals
· Separate chemicals via chromatography and other means
· Use instrumentation to collect and interpret data
· Use instrumentation to perform both quantitative and qualitative analysis
· Use instrumentation for the separation of chemicals
· Analyze samples via spectroscopic methods
· Perform electrochemical experiments
· Prepare samples for instrumental analysis